Wednesday 13 February 2013

Countdown to NZTC

We are now just a few short days away from the first NZ team Championship. 

Last night I spent some time assembling and basing my Chaos Dwarfs ready for the tournament, and realised that once again I have left everything to the last minute as nothing is finished... The army is so far away from being finished, and at the current rate will barely make the 3 colour minimum cut. I really hate using unfinished armies but with the ETC less than 6 months out I really need to get some experience/practice playing the army in a competitive environment, and what better place than the NZTC! Add to that I am not the best painter around, and have had painters block for the last month or so, so it has been a real chore to try get this far.

A huge preemptive thanks needs to go out to Sam Whitt from the OMEN team for lending me his BSB and K'daai destroyer for the event! Without it I would not be taking the Chaos Dwarfs to this event. So to all you other teams, you can thank him for his selflessness =P

Know now that he will not be taking bribes to 'forget' them as I am sure his cost is way out of your price range...



In the weekend that has just been I made the pilgrimage to Warclouds 2013 in Christchurch, teaming up with a friend to play in the 40k doubles tournament with some borrowed armies. We ran a combination of Raven wing Bikes and a Death Company drop pod army (format was 1250 points per player). I don't often play 40k, only owning a handful of FW marines and a few Necrons, but I did enjoy the weekend and opportunity to do something different for a change. However I did get caught sneaking a look at the WHFB rulebook half way through a 40k game... Our games consisted of action right from the word go, with 75% of our army scout moving, and those that didn't arriving via drop pods in the first turn. Highlights where people forgetting (or failing) to kill the Death Company Dread first turn, only to have it rampage through entire units, opponents not spacing out units enabling the baal predator to incinerate entire squads first turn, and single Death Company marine assaulting a tervigon and killing it with a power sword (yeah, 4 hits, 4 6's to wound...). We came out with 1 loss, 2 draws and three wins. I am now looking forward to the opportunity to paint up my FW marines and get enough to make a full force, but damn, whose silly idea was it to try paint yellow...


Damon, Mike and I got a chance to plan the demise of all the other teams attending the NZTC this weekend. Although we didn't actually manage to make a plan for their demise, we did manage to plan he demise of our other team mate Alans Empire army. Expect us to throw him under the bus at any given opportunity! 

In all seriousness there has been a lot of smack talk on the local interwebs scene. Whilst our team will not be stooping to the gutter like all the other teams (obviously there is no need to lower ourselves to their levels, as we have two uncapped ETC players on the team, the title is practically ours! /end sarcasm), the banter has been amusing.


I am picking the podiums to be made up of Kapiti Krushers, NZ Hammered, Cut the Mustard, and the Vonn Trapp Family. 

As for us I think we will be competing for 5th or 6th place. My reasoning simply because Mike refuses to use Doom Divers! So to all those attending, when you see mike, ask him about his doom divers, or lack there of!



7 comments:

  1. I will ask Mike about that. Went from awful matchup, to please, oh please, oh please, let me play him so I can get free points!!!

    Anyway thanks for yet more underestimation of Team Omen. This is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Every time I look through the match ups I think to myself, damn if Mike would only have taken doom divers this would be a good round...

      Delete
  2. I am pretty expensive, just ask the wife. If you need anything else mate let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doom divers is happy days for me as well… horrible things. Seems everyone has written tem Omen off… might be your reputation for choking James? Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Choking? That'd require me to take a reasonable army and actually reach the top tables.

      Can't remember the last time either of those things happened...

      Delete
  4. I love those radars, easy to fly under...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out for the flak from all those war-machines as you fly low......

      Delete