Saturday 6 July 2013

The Krak Report - The month of June...

The Krak Report - June Edition

Another month has past and its time for a round up of some random (and not so random) hobby related things that spark my interest... This ones a little late, real life and all...

Raging Heroes - The Toughest Girls of the Galaxy



Last few days of the kickstarter and this one blew away all its targets in the first few days. I have to say, making war dollies into girls is great in most situations, however making your entire range of war dollies girls? Pure genius!
This is what alternative ranges should be about. Bringing something different and unique to the gaming table, not all this baltant rip off stuff that some others produce.
Go read up about them here theres not much time left...


Apocolypse




If you like pew pew and you have not been hiding under a rock for the past month you would have heard about Apocolypse. No not the four horseman type but the nuclear explosion type.
We got a very early preview of the cover of the July WD which had one of the worst models GW have ever made...

Then we got the sneak preview of one of the best models GW has ever made (at least for 40k). 


Nobody knows how one company can be so hit and miss with their core product... 


As it turns out they put together a 296 page hardcover for $146NZ, not to bad for a full colour hardcover book. They also announced that it will be available on iBook in three parts (rules/data sheets/scenarios) which is a bloody nice idea IMO as I intend on buying the Hardcover rulebook and grabbing the data sheets for my tablet.



ETC



The ETC is fast rushing up on me and with a little under 4 weeks until I fly out I still see a mountain of painting to get done before this years event being held in Novi Sad, Serbia. 
While I am away my will probably be a bit quiet on the posting front however I will try and give regular updates of the event in between games


Games Workshop goes Digital - In a real format
Gee Dub have finally realised normal people can use technology to and have broken the fast of only pandering to the 'i' crowd.
Through the Black Library, we can now get our very first codex in a normal format usable on normal tech. Eldar became the first foray in Mobi and ePub formats, and will quickly be followed by others no doubt. Supplements are also quickly appearing as well as a previously hardcopy only assortment of GW publications like Index Astartes. 
I see this as a great move and an area GW had previously preformed very poorly at. 
But the best thing for us Kiwi's... Codex's are only $40NZ.... that is $58NZ cheaper than the hardcover equivalents!


Supplement Speculation




I blogged briefly on this earlier last month about what the supplement introduction could mean for not only 40k, but fantasy. You can find the post here
Now that the anouncement has been made that Tau will be getting a Farsight Conclave supplement (which was the obvious choice), further speculation and conjecture arises.
I cans see Hive fleet Kraken being the focus of a Tyrannid supplement (sorry, I dont buy the BS about a Genestealer cult, it dosnt fit the format of slight codex modification and no new units) as Kraken was the Tyrannid fleet that destroyed Iyaden (ooooh) and the current codex sports only a small contingent of painted models in the Kraken sceme (as opposed to the two other main fleets in the book). 
I see Imperial Fists in the Space Marines supplement lineup (I actually think we will see all the first/second founding chapters at some point) which may even include crimson fists (such a terrible name) and shock horror Black Templar.

As for WHFB 9th edition is rumoured to be right around the corner and I can see the supplements being intergrated into the new edition as opposed to being retconed into 8th. Rumours abound that we will see a ravening hoards type list with the new set, but then again, grain of salt. We get that rumour every new edition



On the Bench

I currently have the majority of my Chaos Dwarf Army sitting in front of me at the moment, all half finished of course. I have 4 weeks until I fly out so plenty of time right? 

I recently picked up a Blood Slughterer from Forgeworld to represent my K'daai Destroyer, as my current conversion (based on a Thundertusk) is too large for me to transport half way around the world for the ETC. 

Also sitting in front of me is my new project High Elves. Mountains of Sea Guard and Dragons, I've picked up a lot of the new models purely to paint a nice looking army. Its all about the Hobby! No idea if they will ever sea the light of a tournament, but I do play on trying a new technique on them where you paint light/pastel opaque colours as a base, then shade/highlight up with transparent and opaque washes and inks. This project will have to wait until after I get back from the ETC however.


And sitting right beside them is about 30 Mk IV power armour + some assorted Heresy era armoured vehicles including a Land Raider Proteus and a 

I hope to be adding a Thunderhawk Gunship and Warhound Titan to this while I am in Europe. Always wanted to paint up these iconic vehicles


What's next from Forgeworld?



Hopefully the bloody Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur Taur'uk and K'daai Destroyer. We have been teased with these for months and the Taur'uk now features in the latest Forgeworld catalogue. 

We have also been seeing a lot of new Heresy Marine variants including the new Fellglaive painted up in Iron Warriors colours. I'm expecting book two is just around the corner. good times!


Tournament roundup



Well I have not managed to get to many tournaments this year so far, numbering only two.  I attended Equinox earlier in the year where I place 1st. This was the largest WHFB tournament this year so I picked up max 100 points for the win. 
At the beginning of June I went to my "local" Southcon where I placed second overall. There was only 14 entrants so it is one of the smaller events around. However I did manage to suffer my first 20-0 defeat at the hands of NZ's own token LMC! A bit of rock paper scissors here but still managed the second place. Unfortunately it means I missed out on the coveted hat trick of wins having won 2011 & 2012 Southcons....
Oddly enough this still leaves me in the no.1 ranked spot in NZ for WHFB. I am expecting this to change soon as more of my ranking points expire from last year.
Its been good at the top defending without even having to play games...

Then there is the most coveted trophy (mug) of them all. Top Warhammer Internet Personality. I scored this beauty at Equinox this year, and I figure the best way for me to defend it is not go to tournaments with other Internet personalities! Its mine Mr Brown! Mine I say!!!!


Parting shot



So ends another instalment of my ramblings. I expect new posts on the blog to be less frequent this month and the following as work gets in the way of fun, and preparation for ETC takes all my spare time.


Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment